VEGAN DATE SWEETENED COCONUT & CASHEW YOGURT RECIPE
Posted on June 20 2018
This cashew and coconut combo is a nutritional powerhouse.
I am really excited about this homemade dairy free and vegan yogurt. It tastes amazing and is so simple to make. This recipe is guaranteed, perfect, tub set, creamy yogurt with no additional thickeners required!
Coconut & cashew yogurt is rich in unsaturated fatty acids, plant-based protein, dietary fibre and minerals; like copper, zinc and magnesium. It even delivers antioxidants and electrolytes too.
The gut loving, dietary fibre in coconut milk and cashews will nurture your gut lining, benefit digestion and aid nutrient absorption.
Coconut & cashew yogurt is a hearty option that may even help with weight loss. You should feel full for longer and less inclined to snack thanks to the protein and good fats. You also may find you only need to eat a smaller amount compared with pure coconut yogurt.
Subtly sweetened with nature’s most delicious fibre-filled fruit, the medjool date, this yogurt has a slight caramel taste that is a treat for both your taste buds and your digestion.
FEED THE BACTERIA SUGAR
In traditional dairy milk yogurt, the bacteria in starter culture thrive on the sugar (lactose) content, naturally found in milk. The bacteria populating your cashew and coconut yogurt must have something to feed on to allow the culturing process to take place. A little bit of sugar is enough to kick start fermentation. Don’t be afraid of this, the sugar is not for you, and it will be consumed by the hungry, healthy, bacteria. Unfortunately dates or healthy sugars like honey are not what they want to eat.
- Luvele blender
- Luvele Yogurt maker
Thoroughly wash or sterilise your yoghurt container and whisk with boiling water.
- 2 tins coconut milk (I use Ayam)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 large medjool dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- yogurt starter culture
- Soak the cashews in water with a pinch of salt for 6 hours or overnight to soften.
- Drain and rinse the cashews.
- Put the cashews, coconut milk, sugar and dates into a high speed blender and blend for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into your yogurt making bowl.
- Add the amount of yogurt starter culture specified on the packet and stir with a hand whisk to combine.
- Put the lid on the yoghurt-making bowl and insert into the yogurt maker.
- Set to ferment at 38 degrees C. for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours the fermentation is complete. Place the tub in the fridge for at least 6 hours to chill.
When set, coconut and cashew yogurt can be enjoyed with both sweet and savoury dishes.