If you love cream of mushroom soup but want or need a vegan option, you’re in luck. This dairy-free blender recipe is a true mushroom lover’s delight and is, bonus, so easy to make! It’s rich and flavourful and deliciously satisfying. With all those juicy sautéed mushrooms, onion, garlic and herbs it’s full of yummy umami flavour.
Thanks to cashews, the soup feels and tastes like it’s loaded with cream. With the Vibe Blender System's 'soup function', the texture becomes ever so smooth and creamy. You’ll be cozying up to warm homemade soup in no time at all. This 15-minute, creamy mushroom blender soup is the perfect, easy and healthy lunch or light dinner.
1 cup raw cashews (soaked in warm water)
2 tablespoons olive oil
400 grams mushrooms, chopped (any variety you fancy)
1 onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried garlic)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
Generous grind of black pepper
3 cups hot vegetable stock (add an extra cup for a thinner soup)
1. Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with warm water and set aside for 10 minutes while you cook the onion and mushrooms.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Brown the onions then add the garlic and chopped mushroom. Cook the mushrooms until they have released their juices and are starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Transfer the mushrooms to the Vibe Blender stainless steel jug. (Reserve some of the cooked chopped mushrooms to garnish the soup)
4. Drain and rinse the cashews and add them to the blender jug.
5. Add the stock plus thyme, salt and pepper.
6. Secure the lid on. Choose ‘soup’ mode and blend for approx. 30 seconds.
7. Season to taste or add a little more water or stock for a thinner soup.
8. Pour the hot soup into bowls, garnish with slices of cooked mushroom, fresh herbs, croutons etc and enjoy while it's hot.
9. Store leftover soup in a covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days then reheat in a saucepan on the stove top.
Did you try this soup? - be sure to leave us a comment, or tag a photo using #luvelelife on Instagram.