Liquid error: Could not find asset snippets/simple-preorder-bootstrap.liquid
Of the winter soup classics, potato and leek is one of the most comforting and satisfying. The mild flavours of leeks and creaminess of potatoes complement each other so well - the whole family is sure to love it! It’s a healthy and satisfying meal, ready in under an hour.
This timeless flavour combo is intensified and made more delicious with a quality chicken stock base, but it can be easily made vegetarian or vegan by using vegetable stock and skipping the creamy garnishing extras. You won’t compromise on taste by switching ingredients to accommodate your dietary needs.
To enhance the flavour, we start by roasting the potatoes, leeks, onion, garlic and fragrant rosemary until soft and golden. Pureeing the roasted ingredients is fast in the Vibe Blender, and best of all, you don’t even have to wait until the veggies cool down. Simply transfer the hot vegetables straight from the roasting tray into the heat-proof, stainless-steal jug, add the stock, blend and serve! It’s quick and no other pots are required!
This potato and leek soup is creamy enough without cream but adding a dollop of cream, homemade yoghurt, sour cream or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese is next level. Finish with chopped chives, croutons, or crispy bacon titbits.
4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped (choose a low starch variety)
1 onion peeled and quartered
2 leeks chopped, darker green removed and thoroughly washed
4 whole garlic cloves unpeeled
1 sprig fresh rosemary
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon of salt
Grind of cracked pepper
4 cups of warm vegetable or chicken stock
Cream, sour cream or homemade yogurt (optional)
Optional extras – croutons, crispy bacon, parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F
2. Place the chopped onion, potatoes, leek, whole garlic cloves and sprig of rosemary in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked pepper then toss to coat.
3. Roast until nicely browned, the potato pieces soft and the leek is mushy and caramelised. This should take between 40 minutes but will depend on the size and variety.
4. Remove the woody part of the rosemary – leaving in the leaves.
5. Pinch each roasted garlic clove with your fingers to squeeze out the paste. Discard the skins.
6. Transfer all the ingredients to the stainless-steel Vibe Blender jug
7. Add the stock
8. Secure the lid on the blender jug
9. Blend on 'soup' mode for 40 seconds.
10. Taste test. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
11. If the soup is too thick, add half a cup of boiling water. Note: do not over-fill the jug as the heat may create pressure and force the lid off while blending.
12. Pour the soup immediately into bowls.
13. Finish with a final crack of fresh pepper.